Source: HISTORY OF THE PAN-HANDLE OF WEST VIRGINIA 1879
LEWIS HALL was born in Brown county, New York, on the 145th of October 1809, and came to Holliday's Cove, in Brooke county, in the year 1817, with his father, who settled in that locality. At the age of twenty he came to Wellsburg, and first engaged in milling and wool-carding He owned a half interest in a mill and carding machine at this place, which he operated for about three years;, when he disposed of his interest and entered the cotton factory of Carle, Miller & Carle, as clerk. He married Louisa Markley in 1831; and the next year he started on a trip with his brother- in- law to New Orleans; and his wife died during his absence, leaving one child. In the year 1834 he married Sarah Lawrence. He had retired from the cotton factory the year previous; was appointed Deputy Sheriff of Brooke county under George Parkinson, Esq. during 1834 and 1835. He was President of the Board of Trustees for Wellsburg during 1836 in 1837. At this time he purchased a farm and hotel, at what is now known as Fowlerstown, where he resided until 1842 , when he returned to Wellsburg, purchased a small farm in the country and resided in town. In August 1854 he purchased the store-house and stock of John W Jackson, consisting of general merchandise, and has been engaged in the mercantile business ever since, and has operated successfully and passed through all the vicissitudes of trade for the last thirty five years, and has been engaged longer in business than any man in Wellsburg. In November 1862 he left his store in charge of a clerk and went to Livingston county, Illinois, and operated a warehouse for about nine months, after which he returned in Wellsburg. He is at this time closing out his stock of goods, preparatory to removing to Cincinnati, Ohio. Since the year 1830 he has been a member of the Disciples Church at Wellsburg. He has reared a family of five children all of whom are now residing at Cincinnati, Ohio.