Dr. John M. Cooper
Dr. John Cooper was born in Belmont County, Ohio in 1831. His early education was received in the public schools of West Alexander and Martins Ferry. He graduated from the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati in 1858. After his graduation he studied for some time under Doctor West of Martins Ferry after which he practiced in Grandview, Ohio, and later going to West Liberty where he resided nine years.
In 1867 he moved to Wellsburg and from that time he was engaged in the practice of medicine, as well as being in the drug, book and insurance business.
Doctor Cooper started in business here in 1871. In 1874 he associated himself as a partner with Darwin McClelland under the firm name of J.M. Cooper and Company. This partnership existed until 1885 when it was dissolved, Mr. McClelland retiring.
Doctor Cooper was married to Miss Sarah Hedges of West Liberty. Five children were born to this union: Joseph, Ashley, Samuel and Jay and Mrs. Henry Wise of Charleston.
Few men were more active in the city's interest than Doctor Cooper. He was the possessor of a genial disposition and even during the later years of his life when he was more or less indisposed, he always had a smile and a pleasant work for everyone. He was also a member of City Council.